Friday, June 8, 2018

 
Surrey, England, late January 1812Never Doubt A Duke by Regina Scott

I found this first of the Fortune’s Brides series to be a fun and clean Regency romance novel. Regina Scott delivered an entertaining story, which held my attention and caused me to smile throughout!

The main character, Jane Kimball, is not the model governess, which makes for a lot of conflict, surprise, and interest! This offers the reader an interesting point of view about this character’s position in a wealthy household during the early 1800s. Jane is an interesting character with strengths that were not valued in her time. Tell me everyone, can’t we all relate on some level? I enjoyed how Jane got herself into and out of predicaments!

Alaric, Duke of Way, is father to three young girls, Lady Larissa, Lady Calantha, and Lady Abelona. Their mother had passed away and they have challenged their governesses ever since. Of course, none of the governesses have stayed, which causes the reader to hold the attitude--how long will Jane last? I like Alaric and I think his opinions and challenges are worthy of every conflict and success that he shares with Jane and his family.

Miss Thorn’s cat, Fortune, is a pleasing addition to this story. I could identify with Fortune’s importance because my sister and brother have a cat named Millie. Yes, Millie did choose me as one of her people she likes. Millie will hide from guests generally but will be friendly and desire attention from a chosen few!

Regina Scott sent me this novel to critique, and I trust her to write entertaining feel-good stories. Her historical settings and fun characters are a joy to read. This is a highly recommended book and I’m eagerly awaiting the next story in this series!




QUESTIONS FOR REGINA:
Your characters are always interesting. Were you motivated to write any character in this novel because of someone you know? Not in this book. Jane popped up, strong-willed, durable, and determined to make a difference. She was so much fun to write.

How did you come up with Fortune the cat?
My critique partner loves cats. She’s always encouraging me to put one in my stories. I have shied away from this, as I am more of a dog person. But she recently adopted an adorable grey kitten who is such a joy to watch romp around. I thought it would be fun to have a cat be part of bringing couples together.

What idea triggered the name, Fortune? (I think this is the perfect name for this feline character!)
Originally, I wanted Miss Thorn, Fortune’s owner, to have a last name of Fortune. The Miss Fortune Employment Agency sounded so funny! But there is a long-running mystery series in which the sleuth is Miss Fortune, and I didn’t want to look as if I had taken someone else’s idea. But I loved the ideas of Fortune’s Brides, and so the name was loaned to Fortune the cat. Miss Thorn found her as she was waiting to hear whether she’d inherited enough money to live one. You might say the cat is her Fortune.

Have you traveled to Surrey? If so what was your favorite memory of that visit?
Alas, I have not had the pleasure. I have driven along the edges of Surrey, heading to London, but I haven’t been directly into the county. But the internet is such a treasure, and there are so many period paintings of the area, that I feel as if I’ve been there! One of my dreams is to take one of the canal boats along the Thames through Surrey. Perhaps one day!

Is there theme or encouragement within this story that you would like to elaborate upon?
A theme I’m told comes through often in my stories is “be your true self.” God created us to be unique individuals, with skills, abilities, and dreams. Jane embodies this. She doesn’t compromise who she is, even when doing so might have made things easier for her. I admire people who can do that.

What new novels do you have available in the future?
The sequel to Never Doubt a Duke, Never Borrow a Baronet, will be available June 13. I wanted to put the first couple books in the series close together so readers would have an idea of what to expect. The third, Never Envy an Earl, is slated for an August release. I hope to have the fourth, Never Vie for a Viscount, out in late November. It’s been a busy year for me, but I’m having a blast, and I hope readers will too.

How do you want your readers to find you? 
Thank you so much for this opportunity to share with readers, Susan! Blessings!
Regina Scott
Never Doubt a Duke, Book 1 in the new Fortune’s Brides series, 5/18/18
Never Borrow a Baronet, Book 2 in the Fortune’s Brides series, 6/13/18
www.reginascott.com * newsletter signup www.eepurl.com/baqwVT

No comments:

Post a Comment