Monday, January 20, 2020



Book 1 of the Grace by The Sea series, Matchmaker’s Rogue, is a beautiful step back into 1804 Dorset, England. I can feel the camaraderie from inside the hot mineral springs Grand Pump Room, hear conversations from hopeful introductions and the tunes played by Maudlyn at the harpsichord. Jesslyn Chance and Larkin Denby had known one another from a previous relationship and find themselves in an awkward reconnection.  He needs to visit this spa for clandestine reasons and she needs to hold her position.  

I love the personal interactions the glue that holds the characters together and tensions working to pull them apart! Regina’s entertaining plot uses the right amount of history to make this work. Oh, the mystery and intrigue and the beautiful location! I’ve read about hot springs and how people flocked to those for improved health before, but this is the first mystery that I’ve read that included one for the location!

Well done Regina! I always enjoy your adventures and can count on a pleasing and interesting story all the way through! 

QUESTIONS FOR REGINA:

What led you to use the hot springs spa for your story? (Great location, by the way!)

I visited Bath in England some time ago, and the setting fascinated me. All those strangers coming in and out, the elegant assemblies, the making of new friends, hearts connecting. Of course, I had a story in mind as well, and Bath was a little too far inland for its purposes, so Grace-by-the-Sea was born!

Are the spa or Castle How true historical locations in Dorset England? If so, have you visited them? Any photos?
Grace-by-the-Sea is my own creation. I had this picture in my mind, and I went looking for a likely spot. Dorset seemed perfect. Then I discovered Lulworth Cove! It is exactly how I pictured Grace-by-the-Sea, complete with a castle on the headland, the Lulworth Cove does not have a spa. I have not had the pleasure of visiting yet, but it’s on my bucket list of places to go in England.





If Grace-by-the-Sea is not a real location, did you draw a map of how the spa and the Castle were laid out?
Absolutely. I have a map of the town as well as the layout of the castle itself. It plays a much bigger role in the second book, so I needed to know more intimate details.
Who was the very first character in this story that you developed, and why?
Jesslyn Chance, my heroine, was the first. I’m not sure why. She just came to me, smiling her welcoming smile, so organized and efficient. Maybe I secretly wish I was as organized as she is! 😊

Do you have any fun facts about spas and their popularity in the 1800s?
Bath was the most famous, with its Roman hot water soaking baths. Lyme Regis just down the coast from Grace-by-the-Sea in Dorset was also very popular, though more for the seaside bathing and shops. Jane Austen visited both frequently and lived with her family in Bath for a time.
On Regina's website, I enjoyed the historical elements that she posted on her blog page. http://www.reginascott.com/


Regina Scott's bio:
Regina Scott is the author of more than 45 historical romances set in Regency, England; pioneer Seattle; and the Old West. A stickler for getting it right, she’s sailed on a tall ship, driven four-in-hand, and learned to fence, all in the name of research. She and her husband of more than 30 years live in the South Puget Sound area, on the way to Mt. Rainier.




No comments:

Post a Comment