Sunday, March 4, 2018

I Would If I Could, But I Can't So I Shan't





 
 
For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice, but what I hate, that I do” Romans 7:15

Baffled and disappointed again. How I wish to change. I desire to stop this or begin that. Oh, to give the right reply to the wrong attitude or inquiry. If I could I would, but alas, it seems that I cannot. Fear assails my senses, will all the energy I apply and knowledge I glean not be enough for the situations to be faced?

Not unless, I find a strength that is greater than mine, wisdom unfailing and sure. Can I discover grace and truth that can sustain me though rough waters and changes and trials? What of separations and unbelievable disasters—are there books or acquaintances that can shore up my weaknesses and allow me to succeed in my personal strength like so many heroes of old?

Nay, for I’ve tried, struggled, and fought to overcome my weaknesses. Abundant disappointments bubble up plentifully. Yet to find that no condemnation will weigh down those who do not walk after the flesh, but after the Spirit sets hope to flight once more. Freedom is had when my thoughts and affections are focused upon Him, the One who gave His life, love, and prayers on my behalf. He intercedes still, whether the night is silent and calm or the moaning tempests are blowing and destruction is at my elbow.

In essence, the truth is that I cannot stop this or start that in my strength alone. Only in Jesus can I accomplish eternal triumph and enjoy leaping upon my mountaintops as the hind. I’m thankful that I can’t—for I would if I could. But I can’t so I shan’t do it in my strength, which after all is limited and vain and a stumbling block to the ornate door of pride. Let every portion of glory and praise and adulation be His alone!

Yet, I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, and makes me walk on my high places. Habakkuk 3:18 - 19

Lord – 30681 Yehôvȃh from 1961 (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God.

God- 4302  ’ĕlohîym  el-o-heem’ plur. of 433; gods in the ordinary sense; but spec. used (in plur. thus, esp. with the art.) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative: angels, X exceeding, God (gods) (dess, -ly) X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

1 & 2 Abingdon’s Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the BIBLE, Forty-third printing 1984

Let’s pray. Dear Father, our Lord and God, I pray we will be the ‘I can’ and ‘will do’ for You and Your glory and for the Kingdom of Heaven. In Jesus Name, amen.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, Sue. This was a great prompt for all of us. We appreciate your deep thoughts and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! I appreciate your appreciation! :) I loved your offering for this prompt too! What fun! :)

      Delete