Monday, November 25, 2019

MISS SERENA'S SECRET, Regency Brides, A Promise of Hope by Carolyn Miller







Serena Winthrop, an artist of true merit and sensitivity, has suffered a terrible blow that causes her to abstain from using her God-given gift. Her struggles are relatable for far too many readers, and yet Carolyn Miller weaves heart, hope, and challenge—creating an engaging story that is beneficial.

I admire Serena, the main character, and her unpredictable hero, Viscount Carmichael. Both of these characters held my interest and caused me to cheer them on! I especially love the depth and familiar feel of how these characters could be modeled after someone I know for they are complex, endearing, and frustrating—sometimes at the same time! I luxuriated in the setting and the breath-taking vista of the Carmichael’s home. I love how Carolyn writes Regency and I’ve never been disappointed! This story, with amazing detail, delivers characters within their society, as well as the beautiful ambiance that I look for with any Regency novel.

If you are looking for an entertaining historical which allows you to emotionally invest in the character’s journey, this will be an excellent novel for you to peruse! I do so love a series that stays with many of the characters from the previous novel for I hate to leave a loved character behind! Don’t worry, I’m really not confusing my fictional favorites on the pages of a lovely novel with real life people—but still my curious imagination wants to know more of what has happened to those characters after I finished an excellent story.  
Thank you, Carolyn for MISS SERENA’S SECRET and the care you took to deliver a sensitive topic with class and encouragement! I highly recommend this second book in the A Promise of Hope series!

Questions for Carolyn:
Your main character, Serena, is shared so true to life and when did you begin to desire to write her journey?
I love Serena! I began writing her story as a NaNoWriMo project immediately after finishing her sister’s story in Winning Miss Winthrop, so I had the story world, characters and settings and themes pretty clear in my mind. This was actually the 4th historical I wrote, and I wrote it in 2015.
Have you been to the Carmichael’s home though maybe not called by that name? How did you keep track of writing the characters into the rooms and porches of this amazing home?
This home is an amalgamation of a few stately homes in England: Castle Howard (for the domed outward appearance - which I have not been to) and Chatsworth House in Derbyshire (which I have been to - simply glorious! - and Derbyshire is where this story is mostly set). The magnificent view is based on a grand hotel here in New South Wales, Australia, the Hydro Majestic in the Blue Mountains, which perches on a cliff and overlooks a beautiful valley with vistas for miles.
Keeping track of where characters were and the various rooms did involve drawing some maps and house designs - which wasn’t a chore at all as I once wanted to be an architect!
Do you paint or did you have to interview an excellent artist so that you could write with authenticity?
I have done some painting, but the descriptions here are mostly based on research. The materials used 200 years ago vary to today’s paints and brushes, so I had some fun trying to find the exact hues and colours used to give a true sense of that era.
What message do you wish to give to those afraid of developing, using, and or sharing their God-given gifts?
Do it! It’s too easy to live afraid, and hide away and live less than the potential God has for us - and I think that leads to a shrivelling of our hearts and souls. Jesus talked about using the talents for the sake of God’s kingdom, and while talents in this gospel story might refer to money, I think we can apply the same principle to the gifts God gives us. Use the gifts and talents God has given you, be brave and have a go, because doing so is a way of honouring our Father who made us. And we never know what awaits us on the other side of our obedience.
I see that I need to go shopping, for you have written a couple of other novels that I don’t have.  By the way—I love your website! You have interesting pages on there for your readers! What do you want to tell us about connecting with you on social media?

Oh, I so appreciate you! Yes, I try to post lots of behind-the-scenes details on my website (www.carolynmillerauthor.com) with photos and information about my England travels and book details. I love to connect with readers, and I post regular updates about my writing news via my newsletters, which people can subscribe to at www.carolynmillerauthor.com and my Facebook page, so please come follow me there and say g’day!
facebook | pinterest | twitter | instagram

 
Thanks so much, Susan Marlene - so appreciate you!
Happy reading!
Carolyn xx

No comments:

Post a Comment