Wednesday, October 9, 2019


The sweeping countryside of Arizona Territory in 1871 marvelously sets the stage for this first novel from Regina Scott’s “American Wonders Collection.” From beginning to end, I was delighted. This is another wonder-filled adventure by this author, but that is no surprise to me. I appreciate and esteem Regina’s storytelling ability quite highly. She works hard to entertain and encourage all-the-while she makes the story flow with believability and tension that turns pages. Her characters have depth and are likable, engaging, and perfect for the challenges they meet.

I certainly would like to see more of Meg Pero and Captain Ben Coleridge as well as Dot and Hank Newcomb. Regina’s vivid descriptions are necessary to the story thread and quite enjoyable. I found myself smiling a lot as I read this novel. Becoming acquainted with her characters who were dealing with immense difficulties and trials that would test any man or woman’s fortitude—kept me engaged in the adventure.  

I’m grateful that this is the first of the American Wonders Collection, and I’m already looking forward to the next book in this series. Especially since there is a sneak peek first chapter for her second novel. I wonder when that is coming out! Revell provided a lovely cover that matches the quality of this story, a novel I’m proud to promote. Thank you, Regina, for the free book and I am offering my honest opinion and impressions of this wonderful novel.
 
QUESTIONS FOR REGINA:

Your adventures are so unique and positively interesting! What or who inspired this series?
I started out to write a story about a lady photographer in the Old West, and I wanted her to shoot something grand, amazing. What more amazing than the Grand Canyon? My publisher suggested that I use the story to start a series of books set in the history of our national parks. A Distance Too Grand is the first. Nothing Short of Wondrous, out next October, will be the second. It is set in Yellowstone National Park. And the third book (as yet untitled) will be set on Mt. Rainier.

Your descriptions were so fresh and realistic, did you hike or camp out close to this location?
I visited the Grand Canyon a couple years ago with my family, but I didn’t get to do much more than walk the rim and marvel. But there are dozens and dozens of pictures online plus first-hand accounts from the time period. But that all together, and it seems I came close to describing the amazing vistas!

If you did visit, camp, or hike in the “Arizona Territory” did you take photos? If so, will you share one with us?
Delighted! Though I am not nearly as good a photographer as Meg.





What a WONDERFUL photo, Regina!  Thank you for sharing!  :) Beautiful!  

Do you have a fun or interesting fact about this location and time that you didn’t get to include in A DISTANCE TOO GRAND?
I briefly mentioned it in the book, but the landscape cameras of the time were massive, like two feet square! The bigger the picture, the bigger the camera you needed.

Did you find those cooking tips that Dot used, or were some handed down? You have my curiosity awakened!
My oldest son is a Sous Chef in Seattle. I took the information I found about Army supplies plus what I’d learned would have been in season naturally at that time and asked him what Dot could have cooked. He helped me come up with a repertoire for the survey.

Is there anything you would like to share with your readers concerning your theme or your experience while writing this book? (Or an experience that led to your writing this book.)
It’s the 100 anniversary this year of the founding of Grand Canyon National Park. If you have a chance to visit, I highly recommend it! And if not, I hope you get a chance to go out near you and enjoy the changing of the Seasons. Nothing draws me closer to our Creator than being out in His creation.

On your website, I enjoyed the historical elements that you posted on your blog page. http://www.reginascott.com/
Thank you! I have more information about the stereographs that Meg specializes in. Go to http://www.reginascott.com/adistancetoogrand.html and scroll down to the bottom, then click on the link.

Regina Scott's bio:
Regina Scott is the author of more than 45 historical romances set in Regency, England; pioneer Seattle; and the Old West. A stickler for getting it right, she’s sailed on a tall ship, driven four-in-hand, and learned to fence, all in the name of research. She and her husband of more than 30 years live in the South Puget Sound area, on the way to Mt. Rainier.




Simply another wonderful review with you, Regina! Thank you for your time and whimsical answers! You always make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment