Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Forgotten Life of Evelyn Lewis by Jane Rubiettta


Shall I start by telling you how I felt at the end of the novel? Sure, it was like a holy hush as the splendidness of story washed over my heart and mind.

This story has depth and take-away, excellent character if you will. Jane writes with unique dazzling detail that kept me turning pages as fast as I could during this extremely busy Christmas holiday.

Evelyn Lewis is amazingly complex and quite likable. I believe there will be many who can relate to her struggle with a past that will not stay forgotten. The hero, Taylor, well let’s just say that he was also believable and worthy of the heroine’s notice.

I love how Jane used an innocent and exuberant child to tie these pages together in a memorable knot of love and southern down-home welcome. I’ve had a Bonnie Sue in my life a time or maybe two. Are you curious to find out if you could say the same? There are so many perfect-to-fit personalities represented that I felt that this was a unique and interesting story all the way through--till the very last word.

Bravo Jane! I’m giving this shout out with hope that you’ve already started book two. This is a novel to read and re-read for sure and I've already gifted this book to another excited reader. (Who will love me forever for sharing this debut novel. I’m sure!)

QUESTIONS FOR JANE:


How long has this story brewed in your inner being?
Some of the elements of the book are from my childhood--the sunset porch, a farm, Tennessee. It's been brewing for years but begged to come to life over the last few years.

Your characters sparkle with authenticity. How did you accomplish this in your first novel?
Thank you so much for that! I've had some excellent mentors in my life, some fabulous friends, and a terrific editor. Plus, I rewrote the book 1,000 times, more or less. 

Have you known an Evie or two?
Maybe we all have a little bit of Evie in us--it is easier to avoid some of the past because we don't know what to do with it. And I do love her strength and survival skills

Do you enjoy writing fiction or non-fiction better? Or is this not a fair question?
That's a good question. My first non-fiction book, Quiet Places, took a zillion years to write. My last non-fiction series I wrote four books in a year! So The Forgotten Life of Evelyn Lewis as a first novel took a long, long time to write--so it would be tempting to say "I like writing non-fiction better" but that would mostly be because the novel took a long, long time to bring to life.  

What is an important theme in this story that you want your readers to realize?
That no one's past needs to be unconquerable, and no one's future needs to terrify. And that healing happens best in community. 

What other types of books do you write that could relate to this fiction story?
Part of the lure of fiction is to flesh out in "real people" the principles I know to be true in my own life. So, exploring issues of fear, trust, healing in fiction, as I do in my books such as Resting Place, Worry Less So You Can Live More, and others, was super appealing. 

How should your readers reach out to you?

Oh, I'd love to hear from readers! You can reach me through my website, JaneRubietta.com and also find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
1



1 comment:

  1. Jane Rubietta's book sounds wonderful. I am anxious to read it! Nice interview, Susan Marlene.

    ReplyDelete