Wednesday, August 5, 2015




SWORN to PROTECT

By DiAnn Mills

This fiction/romance/suspense captured my attention from the first page and was quite difficult to put down. DiAnn weaves the characters’ lives together with the strong threads of tension and secrets. The intrigue and believable characters captured my attention for a wonderful reading experience!

Danika Morales is a Border Patrol agent who is definitely committed to protecting our boarders. She is whisked into events that are all too connected to her husband’s unsolved murder.

The characters in this novel are diverse in personality, believable in their roles, interesting and some will surprise you. Our Pens of Praise readers group enjoyed DiAnn’s novel and we were very excited to schedule an on-line talk with her. Some of the situations that are described in the novel are from real life experiences. DiAnn is a petite woman with the bravest heart I think I’ve ever met! She actually did a three day ride along with Border Patrol agents to do her research in the trenches so to speak!

I really appreciate DiAnn’s respect toward the Border Patrol and their challenges and also those who are desperate enough to risk their lives to cross the Rio Grande. Her first lines were “The Rio Grande was not just murky. It was toxic.” How about that opening to grab your attention!  

I refuse to reveal surprises and carefully placed plot points about this novel because I want you to experience this novel in a fresh way. As I enjoyed it. But, I must say I was completely satisfied with this story, which handled a volatile topic in the most respectful and thought provoking way. I applaud DiAnn, for she is a top notch weaver of story. I’m eager to read the next book in this Call of Duty Series that I own. This is a definite re-read and I have placed DiAnn on my “Suzie’s Favorites List for Authors!”

I'm experiencing technical difficulties on blogger. I apologize for the varying size of font and if you are seeing this the way I am--the white background that looks awful! So sorry. Please do not let this detract from DiAnn's wonderful answers. I will correct this as soon as I can tame blogger into submission! :)


Questions for DiAnn, DiAnn's answers in bold...

      Questions for DiAnn,

  1. During your research for SWORN to PROTECT you actually were allowed to ride along with Border Patrol agents. What was your favorite memory during those three days? I learned so much about procedure, and heard stories that were a combination of sad and amusing. I valued the respect the agents have for those who are illegally in the U.S. My favorite memory was the confession of an agent concerning how most agents keep their careers quiet to protect their families. These brave men and women dress for work at the station and then change before returning home. Young children are not told their parents profession. 
  2. Within these pages you were so respectful even though you expressed both sides of the illegal alien issue. What inspired you to write this story? To show a woman thrust in the middle of the complicated immigration issue who falls in love with a man whose opinion is different. This is not an agenda-driven book, but a character-driven story.
  3. Thank you for how you handled the romantic attraction. I’ve never liked too much emphasis on the ‘attraction’ element of a story, especially when it takes away from a great plot. What fiction do you read? (Especially anyone who writes with the romantic balance that you portrayed in this novel.) Joel Rosenberg, Harlan Coben, David Baldacci, Catherine Coulter, Lisa Gardner
  4. Who inspired you to write and how long ago? My husband. :) He dared me to write a book in 1996. I took him up on the challenge, and my first book was released in 1998. He is my nightmare editor and best cheerleader.
  5. What is the most important message that you would like to convey to those who know you? No problem ever surprises God. 
  6. Is there anything else you would like to say about the CALL TO DUTY SERIES or this book in particular? This series helped me show strong women in roles that are traditionally held by women. All my books contain strong women who are ready to face problems with skills and the desire to acquire more skills to get the job done, and yet they are totally feminine.
  7. Which series is your favorite and why? That’s like asking which of my four sons is my favorite! Id say . . . the series and book and Im currently writing. And if you ask me the same question, Id respond with the series and book Id be writing at the time.

Well DiAnn, you can thank your husband for me and for most--if not all--of your readers for challenging you to write that first story! We are the beneficiaries of that challenge! 

 Here is DiAnn Mills contact information. She would love to hear from you!

DiAnn Mills
Expect an Adventure
Christy Award Winner
Firewall – Tyndale – July 2014
Double Cross – Tyndale – April 2015
Deadlock – Tyndale – October 2015
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Being that my son-in-law is a border patrol agent, I think I will read this!

    I have great news I can't wait to tell you. I learned that there is an organized group of writers in my area. I attended my first meeting last Saturday (meeting monthly!) It's called Word Weavers. I am so excited! I have so much to learn. Now I don't have to swoon anymore when I see your posts and "wish I could go!"

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Mary! I'm sure you will enjoy any of her books and this one in particular! I am very happy for you to have discovered Word Weavers! It is exciting to get together with other writers! No one understands like another writer how we perceive the world! Ha ha so funny...you can still swoon but make sure you take notes each time you do...you may need the info for a scene sometime or other! :) I can't wait to hear more about it! :)

      Delete