Wednesday, October 22, 2014


YAHWEH ROI  and Me
Pens of Praise, October 20,, 2014 Meeting
By Susan Marlene Kinney

Should I do…or maybe…..well, then there is…..

Decisions can be complicated and challenging when they are mine to make. If they belong to someone else they are quite untangled from my emotions and even easy to discern. Plus, I have the added benefit of not knowing all those messy details that cloud the issues at hand. For the person with the ‘in the valley-eyes view, instead of a preferred birds-eye view, the impact of those choices can seem to carry the weight of–generations can be ruined—if the wrong choice is made.

What should I do then if an unsavory situation or person tries to push into my space? Something or someone uncalled for, unwanted, and even intimidating. First, don’t follow that adrenaline rush pumping in the veins, pushing to run with the first idea that comes to mind. Next, don’t heed that angry squabbling voice, which pushes to dominate…no matter how protective and how in-control those words may feel. Notice the previous ‘pushes’ for what they are, but sit quiet instead. Calm that racing heart. Breathe deep and ask YAHWEH ROI  yah-WEH row-EE (The Lord is My Shepherd) to lead. I find it most unsettling at first—this fighting that first reaction and my desire to flee. Consciously focusing on lengthening and deepening my very breaths, forcing my mind to consider what wisdom He may drop into my spirit, I find that waiting for His calm to take over is worth the fight.

Recently, I pursued these steps. This took some effort on my part. I found my struggling spirit wanting to react, but I prayed instead. Lord your will be accomplished here. I didn’t have the time or energy to deal with what I thought could happen. Fear kept peeking over the edge of my dining room table, around the computer as I typed, teasing me as I tried to fall asleep, and distracting me from my want-to-do-it-for-the-Lord list. I decided that He was more interested in my safety and health and peace then even I was. So, I asked Him to only allow the situation to happen if it was beneficial. But, if it was not His will that He would block it from happening.  Peace that comes from surrender filled me slowly and guess what, that situation was blocked. I stand amazed again at the Shepherd of my soul. As in Psalm 23, He does lead me…if I will but follow…to lie in green pastures, next to quiet waters and yes He restores my soul, He guides me in the path of righteousness for His name’s sake. It matters not what troubles arise for He is there and He prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies and anoints my head with oil…yes indeed, my cup overflows…

Oh Lord and Shepherd of my soul, calm my racing thoughts and heart. Help me focus on Your grace and wisdom for my difficult situations. Life is hard, but I desire to lean upon Your strength and love to guide my choices and decisions, so that You will be glorified for Your kindness and sovereignty over my life. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment